Chipotle Mexican Beans
grain free / gluten free / vegan / dairy free
A WHOLE+SOME all time favourite has to be the 'La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce'. It's distinct smokey flavour is sure to have you hooked, just like us! We absolutely love using it in this recipe - we cook it using our Black Eyed Beans and Black Turtle Beans as it makes for the best textured, smokey beans you'll ever have! Enjoy on it's own served with some coconut yoghurt, guacamole and coriander or in burritos, tacos or nachos.
Serves 4-6 people
1.5 cups black turtle beans* (dried soak overnight)
1.5 cups black eyed beans* (dried - soak overnight)
1 tbs coconut oil*
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tin (200g) of La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce*
1 jar (690) Passata*
2-3 cups of water
*Available at WHOLE+SOME
1. Drain the beans and rinse with fresh water
2. Place large, heavy-based saucepan* over medium heat. Add coconut oil, onion and garlic, stir to combine, cook until softened
3. Add tin of Chiptole Peppers, beans, passata + stir combine. Add water, you may need to top up during cooking process.
4. Bring to a gentle boil, stir and cover with lid.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook 30-40 minutes, until beans are tender/soft to bite.
6. Remove from heat and serve as you like! * This recipe also works really well in a slow cooker- just cook on low heat setting for 6-8 hours.